Thursday, July 8, 2010

Writing Thunks

So I guess I lied to you because I never got back on yesterday.  My muses did hit me last night (like they do most nights) but they didn't hit my blogging side.  They got the novelist side, so I began another book that will probably never be finished like all the others I have started.

If any of you are unprofessional authors too, you will know what I mean.  You get this great idea for a book, you think it will be a New York Times bestseller and I'll be famous!   So you start writing.  Perhaps you prepared well, by thinking about the entire plot, working out the characters and kinks.  You write the first scene, maybe the second one and then BANG!  Writer's block swoops down from the sky and kidnaps any creativity you had.  And you stop writing.  Then one day you get another idea for another book and the whole cycle repeats itself.

Most of the time I try to plan it out some so that I don't end up with a bunch of first scenes and nothing else.  So I currently have only one story that has made it past the first scene.  But I am pretty proud of the story that did make it past the first scene.  It's over 70 pages long, hand-written.  I know that typing it would be much, much, much less labor intensive and then my spelling and grammar would be corrected.  But there is something just so satisfying about taking that notebook off the shelf and flipping through all the pages that I had written.  There's nothing quite like seeing it all in front of you like that.  I could almost compare it to seeing it in hard-back with your name slapped across the front.

I secretly hope that I can have that feeling someday.  That's the other thing I could see myself doing (this was mentioned in my first post).  So my career choices are working in Hollywood and then being an author.  Yes, I know that neither one sounds very realistic.  But they almost tie together.  My mom thinks I should be a screenwriter (ie write the scripts for the movies you watch) and I really think she's right.  When I write my stories, I can picture exactly what's happening, what the characters look, sound and act like.  What the world around them looks like, sometimes even the camera angles, it's like a movie that plays in my head.

What are my stories about?  Well, I don't think I'm going to tell you just yet.  I trust very few people with reading my works.  Perhaps one day, if I think it's good enough, I might post a scene and you can tell me what you think.  But I don't know if that day will come any time soon.

That's all for me today.  Until next time, stay awesome!

~ Kate

P.S. I did get to go to the waterpark!! =]

No comments:

Post a Comment